Friday, February 22, 2013

"Always do what's in the best interest of the patient, and never do anything that violates common sense" - Marie Manthey


Marie Manthey, MNA, FRCN, FAAN

This week we attended our Minnesota School of Business/Globe University's Annual Nursing Forum.  The key speaker for this event was Marie Manthey who is truly an amazing person.  Marie helped create primary nursing, relationship based care, is the President of the company Creative Health Care Management and author of The Practice of Primary Nursing.  After getting the great pleasure of listening to Marie speak I decided that I had to dedicate a blog on her behave.  I thought she was just an absolutely amazing women and she inspired me to follow in her footsteps and strive to become a great nursing leader.


Therapeutic Relationships - Cultivating personal awareness, professional knowledge...and practical and repeated skills.

One of her stories this past week really stuck with me.  It was related to therapeutic presence/relationships and how they truly make a difference in the patient's experience.  Her story was about when she was in the hospital as a little girl and how the nurses presence made a lasting impression on her.  She talked about being scared and alone but what she really remembers from this experience was the nurse who colored in her coloring book.  The fact that the nurse colored in her coloring book was the moment that made being in the hospital a happy experience and this was her moment when the "calling" to be nurse was made.  This story was personal to me because I work as a nursing assistant at a children's hospital and sometimes, when we are so busy, it seems that we are all just focusing on completing the specific patient care tasks and we are forgetting to color in that little girl's or boy's coloring book.  I took this story to heart and am committed to focusing my energy around creating special therapeutic relationships with my patients in hopes that I can make that same impression on our children today.  
I will remember to take the time to color in my patient coloring books!!!  

Primary Nursing: A Short Story by Marie Manthey



"Marie Manthey, one of the pioneers of Primary Nursing, founded the company now known as Creative Health Care Management in 1979 as a single-person health care consulting service. In 1982, the leadership development program that would become Leading an Empowered Organization (LEO).  From this highly successful consulting business grew other initiatives which continue to grow into additional successes for the company. A small newsletter designed to support the consulting work and to share experiences and knowledge from the field has grown into the quarterly Creative Nursing Journal. As clients requested additional support for the work of transforming nursing departments, video tapes and books were produced, and Creative Health Care Management has now published numerous books in multiple languages.  Creative Health Care Management is now an international company" (Creative Health Care Management, 2012, N.P.)


More Resources
Creative Health Care Management transforming cultures though relationship-based care.
Free Webinar Keys to Implementation of Relationship-Based Care: Click HERE to Register
The Practice of Primary Nursing
Marie Manthey's Nursing Salons
EBSCO Host Connection: Citations with the tag: MANTHEY, Marie
Click Here to follow Marie on twitter


References
Creative Health Care Management. (2012). About us.   Retrieved from http://chcm.com/about-us/


2 comments:

  1. I like the quote you used. So many people lack common sense :) Marie Manthey's speech brought tears to my eyes. I love the idea that we can touch a person so deeply as nurses, even in childhood, that it directs their path for the rest of their life. We have so many opportunities to facilitate good outcomes, not only for the health of our patients, but for their WHOLE LIVES!!! It's inspiring and scary at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great Post Nikki,

    LoL she must have made an impact, I mentioned her in my post earlier and now I am seeing you did too! You Color in My coloring book by being my friend and supporting me in my education :). Marie was amazing though wasn't she. I love how she is "retired". Imagine what she was like in practice. I get why going into Peds her story was so profound for you. I'm hoping to able to make a lasting impact for people a little later in life but who knows I am good with kids due to my child like brain :)

    ReplyDelete